Do you want to experience what is like to build a social start-up?
About the position
The Innovation Project consists of a team of 4 people taking on one of the most pressing social challenges in Rotterdam as researched by our Think Tank. This year, you will be responsible for creating a sustainable business model that addresses the problem of food waste. We will teach you the skills and tools to build a self-sustaining social startup and provide you with the necessary guidance along the way. The team will be guided by a board coach and advised by business experts, whilst learning about the need groups issues, brainstorming solutions and coming up with a business model.
You will gain invaluable experience on how to successfully build a self-sustaining social start- up. Together with your team you will develop your communication, networking, negotiation and problem-solving skills. You will gain confidence and responsibility not only for yourself but for others as well. You will have to learn how to present your ideas, critically evaluate the next possible steps and structure your work together. This will be made easier by using the agile management technique Scrum. You will also work as a cross-functional team, which ensures that each person’s capabilities are used to their full potential. This is why we strongly encourage our members to join from any faculty or study at Erasmus as diversity in teams enhances our creativity and problem solving. At our organization we are driven by curiosity and growth mindset, thus we want to provide you with opportunities to learn and experiment. Most importantly, if you haven’t done so, you will discover your own strengths (and possibly development areas). This knowledge will help you learn and grow personally and professionally.
What skills and traits would help you excel in this position?
- Creativity – you do not see problems but you see solutions.
- Proactiveness – we want you to go and try things (ventures are not built by thinking).
- Growth mindset – challenges only make you grow, you believe that you can improve anything if you put your mind to it.
- Demonstrate reliability – you exhibit a strong sense of reliability; people can count on you to get the work done, you follow through on assignments and take complete ownership of your ideas.
- Listen actively – good listeners are essential for teams to function effectively. You absorb, understand and consider different ideas.
- We are recruiting team members and a team leader for the Innovation Team.
- As a team leader, 4-5 hours a week will allow you to make the best out of this position. For team members, 3-4 hours a week.